If you’ve noticed drain flies in your home, then you may be wondering what’s best to kill them with. If it’s lying around your house, you may even be wondering whether liquid Plumr kills drain flies.
In this article, not only will you find out whether Liquid Plumr is effective for killing drain flies, but you’ll also learn the steps you’ll need to take to make sure they don’t come back! So keep reading to find out everything you need to know!
Will Liquid Plumr Kill Drain Flies?
Yes! When used to combat drain flies, Liquid Plumr is going to be an extremely effective method.
But keep in mind that if you use Liquid Plumr to get rid of drain flies but don’t fix the causes, then there’s a good possibility they’ll come back.
How Does Liquid Plumr Kill Drain Flies So Effectively?
Lye is one of the key constituents of Liquid Plumr, which makes it effective for killing drain flies. You’re undoubtedly already aware of lye’s potency. So as you know, not only will it kill drain flies, but it will also dissolve any buildup in your pipes, including fat, oil, hair, and many others.
How Can I Kill Drain Flies With Liquid Plumr?
Prior to anything else, be sure you’re using Liquid Plumr while wearing safety gear. Gloves and goggles are essential since you don’t want to accidentally get them in your eyes or on your skin. When you’re ready, pour about 16 ounces of the substance down the pipe and wait 15 minutes.
Wait 30 minutes if there are a lot of drain flies present or if you feel there is a lot of filth in the pipe.
When the time has passed, flush the drain with hot water to get rid of all the Liquid Plumr.
Liquid Plumr can be used once or twice a month to help keep the pipes clear after.
Other Steps You Can Take To Get Rid Of Drain Flies
If you only use Liquid Plumr to get rid of drain flies and nothing else, then the chances are the drain flies are just going to come back again. So as well as using Liquid Plumr, you should also do the following:
- Make sure any clogs or blockages in your drain have been removed as well. A great chemical for this is Drano Max Gel Clog Remover.
- As well as this, you’ll also need to kill any drain flies you see in your house as well. It only takes one pregnant drain fly to lay loads of eggs, and then you’re back to square one. (Fly sprays are the go-to choice for this.)
- It’s also not a good idea to mix Liquid Plumr with other chemicals either. Doing so can cause toxic gases to be released, as well as potentially reduce the effectiveness of both.
- Look for other areas where there may be a drain fly infestation. Normally, they can be located in areas with standing water. In fact, sometimes, the main infestation could even be coming from outside your home.
- You can also mix apple cider vinegar with hand soap to trap any adults and kill them as well.
- Give the drain pipe a thorough clean with a drain cleaner or brush to make sure you’re removing any places the drain flies can breed again.
- And lastly, in severe cases, sometimes the best thing to do is hire a professional to get rid of them for you!
Is Liquid Plumr The Most Effective Method?
If you want to get rid of drain flies for good, then liquid plumr is a great choice. However, it’s not the best. Most pest removal specialists recommend enzyme cleaners for the removal of drain flies.
Not only will enzyme cleaners kill all the drain flies, but they will also remove the buildup of muck in the pipes as well. On top of this, they’re much better for the environment and won’t cause any damage to your plumbing!
So if you can, you should use Enzyme cleaner instead of Liquid Plumr.
As you can see, liquid plumr is a great choice for removing drain flies. However, it’s not the best choice. The overall best choice has to be enzyme cleaner. And remember, as well as using Liquid Plumr, you should also take the correct prevention measures to ensure that drain flies don’t return!
If you liked this article, make sure you check out the rest of the website. Otherwise, have a great day!